The History of Our Organization
The first Alpha Phi chapter was founded at Syracuse University in 1872. The ten original founders of Alpha Phi intended to form a society where they could socialize, find strength in and depend on one another in the face of opposition. Today, Alpha Phi still provides “a tie which unites a circle of friends” for members worldwide. The objectives of their Fraternity are the promotion of growth in character; unity of feeling, sisterly affection, and social communion among their members.
Each organization has their own individual emblem that sets them apart from each other. Every organization created a symbol that they felt was meaningful to the organization, however "Alpha Phi was the first women's organization to use Greek letters as an emblem. Originally there was no standard badge. Until 1906 when the current badge was adopted, each member went to the jeweler of her choice to have her pin designed. Today, each and every member receives a emblem when they are initiated.
The Alpha Phi Foundation is proud to continue the Fraternity's high regard for scholarship and foster the pioneering spirit their Founders held close to their hearts by awarding scholarship aid to deserving Alpha Phis everywhere. Scholarship recipients are selected by the Foundation's scholarship committee on the basis of the applicant's scholastic record, essays, service to Alpha Phi and the community, campus involvement and alumnae recommendations. This year, the Alpha Phi Foundation awarded nearly $135,000 in merit based scholarships.