The History of Our Chapter
The Theta Beta Chapter of Chi Omega at Indiana University was founded on February 27, 1922.
The History of Our Organization
It all began on April 5, 1895, at the University of Arkansas when four young women. This small band of women founded Chi Omega after realizing a need for an organization that would foster both friendship and respect for the potential and inherent value of women. Chi Omega is the largest women's fraternal organization in the world with over 310,000 initiates, 174 collegiate chapters, and over 240 alumnae chapters. Throughout Chi Omega's long and proud history, the Fraternity has brought its members unequaled opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Chi Omega Symphony has reflected the purposes of Chi Omega members since its composition in 1904 by Ethel Switzer Howard on the eve of her initiation into the Xi Chapter of Chi Omega at Northwestern University. Chi Omega's Fraternity jewel is the Pearl and their mascot is the Owl.
Chi Omega is committed to high academic standards for each of its 174 chapters around the nation. In fact, their 20,000 collegians maintain a cumulative national grade point average of over a 3.2. Academic excellence and intellectual pursuits is one of Chi Omega's six purposes. In recognition of the exceptional accomplishments of their members, the Chi Omega Foundation awards scholarships and grants to collegiate and alumnae members.