The History of Our Chapter
The Indiana University chapter of Delta Chi was established in 1925. After a few short years off-campus Delta Chi returned to campus in 2007, and as of 2009 has regained their charter. They have since won the award for the most improved chapter of Delta Chi out of the (at the time) 135 active chapters.
The History of Our Organization
Two incidents have been credited with providing the impetus for interest in the founding of what was to become Delta Chi. One was the election of a Phi Delta Phi as the Law School Editor of the Cornell Daily Sun (the student newspaper) and the second was the election of the law school junior class president.
On October 13, 1890, six students in the Law School, Brothers John M. Gorham, Thomas J. Sullivan, F.K. Stephens, A.D. Stillman and the writer, together with Myron Crandall and O.L. Potter, graduate students, and Monroe Sweetland, a former Student in the Law School, met in a brother’s room and adopted the constitution and by-laws, and organized the Delta Chi Fraternity. The minutes from that meeting state, “Charter granted to Cornell Chapter,” indicating from the beginning the intent to start a national fraternity.
Delta Chi has two prominent symbols: the hand of humanity reaching for the key of knowledge and the poem of explanation that accompanies the design. Their fraternal flower is the white carnation and their fraternity colors are red and buff.
Delta Chi has a separately incorporated Foundation that was created in 1954 as a non-profit educational foundation that can accept tax-deductible donations for the benefit of young men in the Fraternity. All of their members are eligible for scholarships and academic awards. The Foundation provides grants to those attending educational leadership seminars and conferences across the United States. It also offers scholarships to incoming freshmen at many colleges and universities for non-members with no requirement for future membership.