The History of Our Chapter
The Epsilon Chapter is the fifth chapter of the Delta Zeta Sorority. Epsilon was installed by Alfa Lloyd Hayes (one of Delta Zeta’s founders) on May 22, 1909. There were seven chapter members of Epsilon. In 1923, a permanent house was purchased at 809 E. 7th Street, across from the Union. In 1947, the university purchased an annex next door, and in 1955 the house was enlarged. In 1967, Epsilon moved to its present location on North Jordan.
The History of Our Organization
On October 24, 1902, the Delta Zeta Sorority was founded at Miami University by six women: Julia Bishop, Anne Simmons, Anna Keen, Alfa Lloyd, Mary Collins, Mabelle Minton. Women had only been fully admitted to the university that semester, and this group of women decided they wanted to form a sorority. Under the guidance of Dr. Guy Potter Benton, the Miami University president, they did so. Dr. Benton was named as the Grand Patron of the sorority, and to this day, is the only man to ever wear their badge. In 1911, Delta Zeta representatives first attended meetings of the National Panhellenic Council.
Delta Zeta's official colors are rose and green. Their symbol is the Roman lamp and their mascot is the Turtle.
Central to the mission of the Sororities, we also assist our collegians and alumnae with educational funding, and those dollars are made possible only through the continued generosity of alumnae. Delta Zeta believes that academic development and achievement should be the primary concern of all collegiate members. Academic excellence is the foundation of the Sorority and every chapter encourages high scholarship.