The History of Our Chapter
The Beta Phi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta at Indiana University was founded in 1957. It has since continued to expand into one of the leading sororities on IU's campus.
The History of Our Organization
Colleges and universities admitted few women students in the 1870s; some administrators and faculty members argued women had inferior minds and could not master mathematics and the classics. Regardless, Dr. Erastus Otis Haven, Syracuse University chancellor and former president of the University of Michigan and Northwestern University maintained that women should receive the advantages of higher education and enrolled his daughter, Frances, at Syracuse. After considering an invitation to join the then two-year old Alpha Phi Fraternity, Frances instead asked three friends to assist her in organizing their own society. The first initiate, Clara Worden, joined in March 1875.
The Gamma Phi Beta Badge, which is worn only by initiated members, was voted the most beautiful sorority badge and was designed by Tiffany and Co. Gamma Phi is also well known for their symbol, the Crescent Moon.
Scholarships are available through the Gamma Phi Beta Foundation. Each year, the Foundation distributes thousands of dollars to outstanding Gamma Phi Beta scholars who demonstrate a commitment to academic excellence.