The History of Our Chapter
The Beta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta at Indiana University in Bloomington was established in 1871. IU's Kappa Alpha Theta house is located in the middle of campus near the Indiana Memorial Union. The House was built in 1931 and has since had two major renovations allowing 96 members to live in the house every year. Theta has ranked first in scholarship among all of the sororities at IU for 11 of the last 12 semesters.
Kappa Alpha Theta was crucial in starting the Women's Little 500 bike race through involvement with the Indiana University Student Foundation and the strength of the chapter's athletes. The race was started in 1981 and Theta has since won the race 4 times. Thetas continue to be a strong influence on IU's campus through the Student Foundation.
The History of Our Organization
Bettie Locke—the daughter of a professor—was among the first women to enroll at Indiana Asbury College (now Depauw University) in 1867. During her sophomore year, a member of one of the Greek-letter fraternities asked Bettie to wear their badge. When she learned, however, she would not become a member—simply a welcomed supporter of the group—she declined the opportunity.
Desiring full membership in an organization offering friendship and support, Bettie hoped a Greek-letter fraternity for women might form a chapter at Asbury. However, she couldn’t identify such an organization existing on any other campus. With her father’s encouragement, Bettie decided to create one. From the beginning, it was her desire the organization would continue to grow, supporting coeds on multiple campuses into the future. She asked fellow student Alice Allen to work with her to make the dream come true.Their tasks included designing a badge, developing a constitution and bylaws, and identifying potential members—women of outstanding character determined to excel academically. The following autumn, Hannah Fitch and Bettie Tipton were invited to join them. Now, four in number, the women carefully completed their plans. On January 27, 1870, the first official meeting of Kappa Alpha Theta was held.
And so, the first Greek-letter fraternity for women was formally established. Obviously meeting a need, the Fraternity grew exponentially—spreading East and West, from North to South, and becoming the first fraternity for women to establish a chapter in Canada. It was an idea whose time had come.
Kappa Alpha Theta is well know for their symbols, the Kite and Twin Stars. Their official Fraternity colors are black and gold and their flower is the Black and Gold Pansy.
Created by Thetas, for Thetas, Kappa Alpha Theta Foundation is dedicated to providing programming to help our Theta sisters achieve their personal and professional dreams. Being a leader in the Greek community, Theta Foundation provides approximately 200 scholarships totaling more than $500,000 each year to collegiate and alumnae Thetas for undergraduate and graduate studies. The Theta Foundation is also committed to supporting Thetas with educational and leadership grants totaling more than $50,000 annually to help them with their individual endeavors to make a difference in their own communities and across the globe.