The History of Our Chapter
The Indiana University chapter of Kappa Sigma Fraternity, the Beta Theta chapter, was founded on May 14, 1887. In the year 2007-2008, the Beta Theta chapter placed fifth nationally for recruitment, sixth nationally in hours donated, and eighth nationally in philanthropic dollars raised.
The History of Our Organization
Kappa Sigma was founded on December 10, 1869 at the University of Virginia. Five men founded the fraternity: William Grigsby McCormick, George Miles Arnold, John Covert Boyd, Edmund Law Rogers Jr. and Frank Courtney Nicodemus. These five men were known as the “Five Friends and Brothers.”
Kappa Sigma’s fraternity flower is the Lily of the Valley. Their fraternal colors are scarlet red, white, and emerald green. Another symbol of Kappa Sigma fraternity is their official badge, the Star and Crescent.
Kappa Sigma has a well-established scholarship fund, the Kappa Sigma Endowment Fund. The fund awards more than 250 thousand dollars annually. Recipients are those who excel within the fraternity, in the classroom, on campus, and within the community. To date, Kappa Sigma has awarded more than 3.5 million dollars to its brothers.