The History of Our Chapter
The Delta Pi chapter of Phi Kappa Sigma was established at Indiana University on April 17, 2002. The brothers are dedicated to the values of the Founding Fathers back in 1850: striving for excellence in both academics and community service. The Delta Pi chapter is involved in almost every intramural sport and philanthropic event as well.
The History of Our Organization
Doctor Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell founded Phi Kappa Sigma on August 16, 1850 at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. The initial constitution was drafted in 1860 and had no discriminatory clauses in it, however, southern chapters began circulating petitions to make the organization limited to white men only. The constitution wasn’t modified after 1860.
The fraternal colors are black and old gold, which is represented by their flower the Yellow Chrysanthemum. Their mottos are “brotherhood is more than skin deep,” “Equal to the starts in endurance,” and “Men of Honor since 1850.”
There are many scholarships available to the brothers of Phi Kappa Sigma. Each year, the national foundation awards over $60,000 to undergraduate brothers. There are two types of scholarships offered: need based, and participation based. Regardless of which type of scholarship one applies for, academics play a role.