The History of Our Chapter
The Indiana University Beta Chapter was established in 1893 and is now one of twenty Panhellenic chapters on IU's campus. This past summer at their international convention, the Indiana Beta Chapter was awarded a Phi Level ranking for the first time, ranking them among the top 12 Pi Beta Phi chapters internationally. Above all the things, the Beta chapter puts their efforts towards their big white house. Pi Phi provides a family and true home in Bloomington for all of its sisters.
The History of Our Organization
Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women was founded in 1867 by twelve female students at Monmouth College in Monmouth, IL. The founders include Clara Brownlee Hutchinson, Libbie Brook Gaddis, Emma Brownlee Kilgore, Margaret Campbell, Rosa Moore, Ada Bruen Grier, Nancy Black Wallace, Jennie Horne Turnbull, Jennie Nicol, Inez Smith Soule, Fannie Thomson,and Fannie Whitenack Libbey. Pi Beta Phi was the first national secret college society of women to be modeled after the Greek-letter fraternities of men. Today Pi Beta Phi has 134 active chapters and over 330 alumnae organizations in the U.S. and Canada.
Pi Phi's official colors are wine and blue, their flower is the wine carnation, their symbol is the arrow, and their unofficial mascot is the angel.
The 2012 Greek Awards were held in the Indiana Memorial Union on April 27. The Indiana chapter had five members nominated and two of their women won!
The Pi Beta Phi Foundation will award 128 scholarships totaling more than $310,000 for the 2012–2013 academic year. With tuition costs outpacing inflation, scholarships play a key role in the ability of many Pi Phis to achieve their dreams of completing their formal education. In addition to various academic scholarships, the Pi Beta Phi Foundation offers scholarships to both members and non-members to help supplement the costs of attending classes at Arrowmont® School of Arts and Crafts.