The History of Our Chapter
The Lambda Chapter of Sigma Chi was established on February 27, 1858 is not only one of the oldest chapters at Indiana University, but is also one of the oldest chapters in the country. The men of Sig Chi focus themselves on philanthropy and other forms of campus involvement to set an example for the Greek community.
The History of Our Organization
Sigma Chi was founded on June 28, 1855 at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Much of Sigma Chi's heraldry is inspired by the legendary story of the Emperor Constantine from the Battle of Milvian Bridge against Maxentius. Notably, the White Cross and the motto "In Hoc Signo Vinces" are evidence of the Constantine link.
The fraternity symbol of Sigma Chi is the White Cross found in the badge. The fraternal colors are blue and old gold and the fraternity flower is the White Rose and their Motto is “In this Sign you Shall Conquer.”
The Sigma Chi Foundation funds several scholarships for the undergraduate members of the fraternity. One of Sigma Chi’s goals is to promote academic excellence and lifelong learning. Brothers who demonstrate either or both of these are awarded. The Sigma Chi Alumni Brothers donate to the foundation to keep the funds sufficient to award such scholarships.