The History of Our Chapter
The Alpha Iota Chapter of Theta Chi at Indiana University was installed March 19, 1921. At IU, Theta Chi was initially the Delphian Literacy Society. After a few short years they formed the Dalethian Club, which, at the time, was the only men’s club at IU. The club slowly expanded within Indiana University and soon began to assume the aspect of a local fraternity. The Grand Chapter of Theta Chi granted a charter to the Dalethian Club on February 1, 1921.
The History of Our Organization
Theta Chi was founded on April 10, 1856 at Norwich University, in Norwich, Vermont. Two military cadets, Frederick Norton Freeman and Arthur Chase, as well as an “assistant founder,” Egbert Phelps, founded the fraternity. The first initiates of the fraternity were Edward Bancroft Williston, Lorenzo Potter, and Frederick Howard Farrar. Over 160,000 men have been initiated into the Fraternity since its founding.
The colors that represent Theta Chi are both military red and white, and their fraternal flower is the Red Carnation. Theta Chi's motto is “An Assisting Hand."
The Theta Chi Foundation offers several scholarships to its brothers to encourage superior academic achievement. Scholarships are based on academic performance, service to the school and community, leadership activities, and financial need. The Foundation Chapter of Theta Chi provides scholarships to both undergraduate and alumnus brothers who demonstrate outstanding academic performance; service to the Fraternity, school and community; leadership activities; financial need; and clear personal and career goals and objectives.