The History of Our Chapter
The Beta Gamma chapter of Zeta Beta Tau was founded at Indiana University in 1947.
The History of Our Organization
Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity was inspired by Richard J. H. Gottheil, a professor of languages at Columbia University and a leader in the early American Zionist movement. On December 29, 1898, Professor Gottheil gathered together a group of Jewish students from several New York City universities to form a Zionist youth society. The society was called Z.B.T. The history of mergers in the Zeta Beta Tau Brotherhood follow a pattern of linking common traditions. In 1959, Phi Alpha merged into Phi Sigma Delta, and in 1961 Kappa Nu merged into Phi Epsilon Pi. In 1969-70, Phi Sigma Delta and Phi Epsilon Pi merged into Zeta Beta Tau. Through good times and bad, ZBT has been in the forefront in pioneering new concepts - as evidenced by its very founding, its elimination of sectarian membership practices, its acceptance of mergers, its elimination of pledging, and its ability to solve enormous problems when others abandoned the effort.
The official Zeta Beta Tau colors are medium blue and white with gold trim and their flower is the Gold Carnation, which was adopted in 2004.
Scholarship applications for the current school year are now available for the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation Need & Merit Scholarship Program. Completed application materials must be submitted by February 28th of each year. Scholarships are only awarded to initiated members of the Fraternity (with limited exceptions). Undergraduate applicants must also be in good standing and active members of their respective chapters.